Well, it’s been an interesting time since my last post, over a year ago. Lots has happened, both personally and, well, to everybody. Time to catch up and start writing again.
Here’s a quick summary:
- I completed the first semester of my MA in Applied Linguistics with Leicester University. For personal reasons, I had to suspend my studies for the next semester.
- Covid-19 broke out in China, and then spread around the world. My work in China ground to a halt, and from mid-January to mid-July I had almost no work, and barely enough income to cover rent. I was lucky; I had a low rent by Beijing standards. Many of my colleagues were worse off. I suspended my studies for another semester, since it wasn’t clear when I would have an income again.
- I took stock of my position, personally and professionally, and decided it was time to make changes. I quit my job, left China, and moved back home to Wales, where I have bought a house. I’m going to spend the rest of 2020 renovating the house, and upskilling.
- I’ve restarted my MA. This semester, I’ll be studying 2 modules: Phonology, and the structure of English Grammar.
- I’ve enrolled in a course with the British School of Coaching. Over the next year, I’ll be working to obtain an accredited qualification, the ILM Level 5 Certificate in Effective Coaching and Mentoring.
- I’ve also enrolled in an accredited course in Proofreading and Copy Editing.
- There are two more courses I intend to enrol on, but the details aren’t finalized yet.
- Finally, I have a book or two that I want to write.
All of this means that I’m going to be very busy over the next few months. With any luck, I’ll be able to start 2021 with lots of opportunities. I’ll write about some of these things separately in further posts.